Board Minutes - 21 February 2011

Public Version
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board

21 February 2011 - 11.00am
Maddocks. Level 7, 140 William Street. Melbourne VIC 3000

Tony Staley (Chair), Kim Heitman, Chris Disspain, Julie Hammer, Graham McDonald, Dwayne Varey, Josh Rowe, Marty Drill, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Amin Kroll, George Pongas, Rosemary Sinclair

John Higgins (Nexia ASR), Keith Besgrove (DBCDE), Robert Gregory (Maddocks), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA-Minutes), Elspeth Ross (auDA), Derek Whitehead (Reference - item 3)


  1. Continuous Disclosure
    Chris Disspain disclosed he will be joining the ICANN Board following the 41st ICANN meeting in June 2011.
  2. Confirmation of December 2010 Minutes
    The minutes of the 13 December 2010 Board meeting were confirmed.
  3. Policy Development
    2010 Names Policy Panel:
    • Derek Whitehead, Chair of the 2010 Names Policy Panel, provided a summary of the status and draft recommendations to date. The panel last met on 3 February to consider the responses received on the first consultation paper. It will meet again on 3 March to consider outstanding items before the final consultation paper is sent out for comment.
  4. Finance Report
    • The Board noted the January 2011 accounts.
  5. CEO Report
    • The CEO report was noted.
    • Robert Gregory gave a summary on current legal matters (privileged item).
    • It was noted that CGDN’s have been set up for some recent QLD and Victorian flood affected communities. auDA is also monitoring domain name registrations containing the word ‘flood’ and are passing these to the ACCC for investigation if required.
    • Further to the CGDN Advisory Committee meeting in December, the Board noted and approved the recommendation that auDA staff conduct further research and consultation on the proposal to expand CGDNs available for registration to include Local Government Areas.
    • It was suggested that statistics from AusRegistry for month-to-month creates be included in future reporting data. George Pongas will create a template and circulate to the Board for comment.
  6. Membership
    The following membership applications were approved in the classes indicated:

    Name of Applicant    Class
    Brad Slade-Smith Demand
    Robin Sallay Demand

    The board was advised that the Board & Membership Structure Sub-Committee will meet today and an update of outcomes will be provided at the next Board meeting.
  7. Board Correspondence
    The Board noted the correspondence from The Hon Robert McClelland, Attorney-General regarding appreciation of auDA’s involvement in Cyber Storm III.
  8. .au Governance Review – Expressions of Interest
    The Board noted the report on the EOI process and discussed the 2 shortlisted proposals. Both proposals were comprehensive and met auDA’s requirements for the review, and included people who have had past dealings with auDA.

    Motion (proposed MD, seconded KH):
    That the Board authorise the CEO to enter into contract negotiations to conduct the review into .au governance.

  9. Other Business
    • Staff:
    The Board was advised that Elspeth Ross has tendered her resignation from auDA effective 31 March 2011. The board formally thanked Elspeth for her hard work & assistance during her 9 years at auDA.
    • AusRegistry:
    George Pongas advised AusRegistry would like to present various registry information to the Board on a regular basis at Board meetings. This will commence with a presentation on DNSSEC at the April Board Meeting.
    • DNS training:
    Marty Drill proposed that auDA should consider providing DNS course/training sessions, possibly in conjunction with AusRegistry or other appropriate organisations. Marty Drill will discuss the suggestions and way forward further with Chris Disspain.
  10. Next Meeting
    Due to Bottle Domains arbitration being scheduled on 18th April 2011, it is proposed to reschedule the next Board meeting to Tuesday 19th April, 2011. Jacki will check availability with Board members and confirm the date.