Board Minutes - 12 June 2012

Public Version
Meeting of the .au Domain Administration Board

12 June 2012 - 11.00am
.au Domain Administration Limited. 114 Cardigan Street. Carlton VIC 3053

Tony Staley (Chair), Kim Heitman, Julie Hammer, Graham McDonald, Josh Rowe, Marty Drill, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, George Pongas, Kartic Srinivasan, Paul Levins, Chris Disspain, Dwayne Varey

Craig Ng (Panel Chair-item 4), Keith Besgrove (DBCDE), John Higgins (NexiaASR), Jo Lim (auDA), Jacki O’Sullivan (auDA – Minutes)


  1. Continuous Disclosure
    There were no matters to be disclosed.
  2. Confirmation of April 2012 Minutes
    The minutes of the 16 April 2012 Board meeting were confirmed.
  3. Policy Development
    2012 Industry Advisory Panel:
    • Craig Ng, Chair of the 2012 Industry Advisory Panel, attended and gave a summary update of meeting outcomes to date and the discussions on the Panel Terms of Reference.
    • The Chair advised the Panel Issues Paper has now gone out for public consultation with submissions due 20 July 2012.
    • The Chair thanked the secretariat, in particular Jo Lim & Paul Szyndler, for their work in coordinating the panel.
  4. Finance Report
    • The Board noted the May 2012 accounts.
  5. Final Budget 2012-2013
    • The Board noted the final 2012-2013 budget (including current domain name registration figures and renegotiated staff salaries) which has been endorsed by the Finance Committee.
    • It was noted the summary budget will now be published on the auDA website.
    • Motion (proposed M. Drill, seconded C Langdon-Orr): That the Board approve the 2012-2013 budget. Carried.
  6. CEO Report
    • The CEO report was noted.
    • The Board noted the low response from members to the online survey regarding the Westlake recommendations for the proposed constitutional changes, and agreed to set up a sub-committee to consider the proposed changes in detail, including drafting options. The sub-committee will report back to the auDA Board at the 20 August 2012 Board meeting with recommendations for Board discussion and final agreement.
    • Planning continues for the Australian Internet Governance Forum to be held in Canberra 11-12 October 2012 with good involvement from Government and various agencies. It was noted State Governments had not yet been contacted regarding involvement and CD will discuss if contact is appropriate with the steering committee.
  7. AusRegistry Presentation
    Adrian Kinderis-CEO and Maggie Whitnall-Client Services, attended from AusRegistry and gave a presentation on achievements over the past 10 years of AusRegistry’s operations.
  8. Membership
    The following membership applications were approved in the classes indicated:

    Name of Applicant Class
    1300WebPro (James Deck) Supply
    Uber Global Pty Ltd (Dwayne Varey) Supply
    Independent Mortgage Brokers Pty Ltd (Angelo Dounis)    Supply

  9. Board Committee Updates
    Finance & Audit Committee:
    • The Committee met to discuss the final budget (refer to item 5).
    • The Finance Committee will meet with Financial Advisers to discuss cash reserves and best management of auDA funds.

    Governance, Board Succession & Remuneration Committee:
    • The Committee meeting minutes of 29 May 2012 were formally endorsed and approved for publication by the auDA Board.
    • The Board Performance Evaluation Framework final document will be submitted to the auDA Board for approval at the 20 August 2012 Board meeting.
    • The Accountability and Transparency Framework draft document was approved by the Committee and will now be sent out for public comments.
    • The CEO KPI’s are current being finalised against the Operational Plan and will be completed in the next few weeks.
    • An auDA Master Board Meeting Schedule is currently being compiled including all Board, Committee, Panel and ICANN meetings and will be circulated for review in due course.
    • Maddocks advice is being sought by the Committee on auDA Board OH&S responsibilities.

    Strategic Risk Committee:
    • The Committee meeting minutes of 30 April 2012 were formally endorsed and approved for publication by the auDA Board.
    • The Committee circulated the Environmental Scan report for Board review and approval.
    Motion (proposed G McDonald, seconded M Drill): That the Board approve the final Environmental Scan Report.
    • The Committee is currently working through the risk assessment and proposed risk treatments which will be submitted to the auDA Board in due course.
  10. Board Correspondence
    • The correspondence dated 8 June 2012 from Ned O’Meara regarding various issues, was considered & discussed by the auDA Board. A formal response will be drafted by J Lim for Board comment & approval.
    • Keith Besgrove DBCDE advised correspondence has been forwarded to T Staley and C Disspain late last week re; the external territories’ ccTLD managers.
  11. Other Business
    • Directors were reminded of the auDA Members Networking function to be held Tuesday 12 June 2012 at 5.00pm at the RACV Club.
  12. Next Meeting
    The next Board meeting will be held on Monday 20 August 2012 at 11.00am.